Per SACSCOC policy, substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution. Under federal regulations, substantive change includes:
- Any change in the established mission or objectives of the institution
- Any change in legal status, form of control, or ownership of the institution
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated
- The establishment of an additional location geographically apart from the main campus at which the institution offers at least 50% of an educational program.
- Closing a program, off-campus site, branch campus or institution
- Entering into a collaborative academic arrangement that includes only the initiation of a dual or joint academic program with another institution.
The following are examples of substantive changes the University has submitted to SACSCOC since 2016:
- Offering the Certificate in Procurement and Contracts Management at an employer facility * Initiation of a dual degree program between the McIntire School of Commerce, ESADE Business School (Ramon Llull University), and Lingnan (University) College (Sun Yat-Sen University)
- Discontinuation of a certificate program in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (Technology Leadership)
- Suspending admissions into a degree program (Ph.D. in Engineering Physics) in the School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Renewal of a course sharing initiative with The Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School
- Offering the Procurement and Contracts Management graduate certificate at an employer facility
- Relocation of the Master of Business Administration from one location in Roslyn, VA to another location in Roslyn, VA.
- Approval of the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus in Falls Church, VA.
- Master of Science in Athletic Training degree program to replace the Master of Education in Kinesiology.
- Closure of the Master of Arts degree program in Physics Education.
- Relocation of the Master of Science in Management Information Technology from Roslyn, VA to McLean, Virginia.
- Dual Degree Program Agreement between the University of Virginia (Darden School of Business) and Johns Hopkins University Advanced International Studies)
- Closure of an off-campus site in Newport News, VA
- Closure of an undergraduate certificate program in Federal Acquisition
- Closure of an undergraduate certificate in Human Resource Management